Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why Do They Do It?

I lost count.

I think I have 70-80 entry visas into Guatemala spread out over three passports. Most of those have been in the last ten years after a one-year sabbatical in Guatemala redefined my life. Whatever that number is, Lord willing, I will add one more tonight.

On Friday and Saturday, almost 40 students, faculty, staff, and friends of John Brown University will also have a shiny new Guatemalan entry visa stamped in their passports. Why do they do it? They could have spent spring break sleeping or on a beach, but they decided give their time, money, and love in the Guatemala City garbage dump for a week.

What they will see is not pretty, yet those who have gone before are compelled to go back. We see some of the worst of human existence:  poverty, hunger, disease, exploitation, and filth. Perhaps worst of all, we will see broken souls...people who have forgotten that they were created in God's image and who have instead accepted the lie that they are part of the trash they live in.

When I have the opportunity to serve with the JBU community, I consider it a privilege. Throughout this whole process, I have seen these people work, give, pray, and love. I have seen tremendous generosity from the group and from those who have given faithfully, lovingly, and sacrificially to make this happen. And while we have been blessed with an abundance of people and resources, I know that there is even a greater abundance of prayers being offered up on behalf of this team and the people they are going to serve.

Why do they do it? They will spend a week sleeping on uncomfortable beds, getting up early, living and working in crowded conditions, using muscles that haven't been used in a while, and seeing some of the worst that can happen to humanity. They do it because these are God's kids. We don't love the world because it is beautiful and Christian. We love the world because we are Christian. That is the DNA of the believer.

Over the next week, I will be surrounded by 40 people who have become my heroes. They will be working with medicine, construction, education, and evangelism. I will try to keep some updates posted here.

Please keep us in your prayers.

--Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment