Monday, March 26, 2012

Remembering Gerardo

Photo by Joe Walenciak

There is one less star shining in the Guatemalan sky tonight.

I met Gerardo in 2006 when I first visited Mama Carmen's home. He was a 6-year-old boy who had been with Mama Carmen since he was abandoned when he was only a few months old. Gerardo had a "brain paralysis" and seemed to respond to external stimuli only in the most general sense. He has never uttered a word in his life and always required constant care. For the last couple of weeks, Gerardo has been fighting for his life in a local hospital. People have prayed for a miracle. Sometime after midnight this morning, the greatest miracle of all occurred...Gerardo slipped away from his frail earthly existence and went to be in the presence of God.

I have had the privilege of taking many teams and guests into Mama Carmen's home. Every time, I would tell him, "I've brought more pretty girls to hold your hand, Gerardo!" I joked that he would thank me some day in heaven for all of the lovely girls I introduced to him. On the last trip in December, he actually seemed to push my hand away and reach for the hands of the lovely girls who were with me in that group. I always felt that Gerardo was in there somewhere, trying to let the world know he was there.

Gerardo required constant care and never directly interacted with the world around him, but for twelve years, he was the star of the home. Mama Carmen cared for him, fed him, cleaned him, talked to him, gave him therapy, and loved him as much as anyone could ever be loved.

This afternoon, we made arrangements for Gerardo's casket and burial. I will miss that little guy, but I am quite sure that he is talking and running around in heaven right now, making up for lost time. And if my suspicions are correct, I'm sure he has found a few lovely young lady angels, and he is holding their hands.

Looking forward to seeing you again, Gerardo! Enjoy your new life!



No comments:

Post a Comment