Sunday, May 27, 2012

Everyone Needs an Enrique

May 27, 2012, Guatemala City

Yesterday was a frustrating day. My phone rang in Guatemala City at 4:45 a.m. with the news that the Graduate Guatemala Studies class was facing flight cancellations and would not arrive on time, requiring that we rework the itinerary for the first two days and miss the kickoff excursion to Lake Atitlan completely. On top of that, my buddy at the place where we rent cars gave me the wrong van. It is one of those 15-passenger high-top vans with lots of head room. It is nice to have that extra space above your head, I suppose, but you can't get these things into any of the parking garages of Guatemala City. The good news was that Manuel (my buddy) agreed to meet me and swap out the high-top van for a regular van. The bad news was that he did not show up at the appointed hour. There was a good story and a lot of excuses, but no van.

We are in the early days of the rainy season here in Guatemala, and yesterday afternoon produced a good, healthy rain. I started to get worried about logistics for picking up the class last night. The convenient parking garage is not convenient for a high-top van, meaning that I would have to park at more of a distance, walk over and greet the team, leave them standing, walk back in the rain to get the van, and drive around to pick up the team. None of this is insurmountable...just frustrating and highly inconvenient.

Enter Enrique Quiñónez. About 4:00 in the afternoon, Enrique said, "Let's go to the airport and get permission to park at the curb." Being the good North American that I am, this was an uncomfortable suggestion. Parking at the airport curb...right outside the arrival area...is frowned upon by the authorities. I did not relish the idea of showing up alone at night and arguing with the police that I actually DID have permission to park under the "no parking" sign.

Things like that just don't slow down Enrique. I could share countless stories. This one was typical. We went to the airport. Enrique said, "Stay here, I'm going to talk to that policeman," pointing to the first uniformed official we saw. I watched in awe as Enrique talked to one, two, then three officials. The next thing I knew, he was bringing a gentleman over to meet me...the head of security at the airport. This gentleman introduced himself and told me that I had complete authority...in his name...to park in the "no parking" area right outside the arrivals area, and if anyone gave me any problems, I should mention his name and call him directly.

I cannot tell you how many times Enrique has talked us into parking lots, out of situations, through all kinds of things. I see this as a gift from God, and I am thankful to have Enrique around when I am in Guatemala.

Honestly, there are a lot more important reasons to have Enrique around. He and his wife, Cecy, love to serve and evangelize, and they never waste an opportunity. Enrique has a great personality and builds friendships with students and friends that I bring to Guatemala. Many JBU undergraduates go home talking about "Papa Enrique" and "Mama Cecy." Having Enrique and Cecy around is a blessing...AND I get to park under the "no parking" signs.

Thank you, Enrique! Lord bless you!


1 comment:

  1. Well, we are one of those "friends" that you've introduced to Papa Enrique and Cecy who now call them "extended family". Thank you "Joe Wall en chuck" for brigning us to Guatemala, seriving as you have and helping us learn how to serve because of the love we have for Jesus and His love for the lost, poor, orphaned and widowed. Can't wait to see Enrique, Cecy and you again. And, thanks for sharing this example of how both Enrique and Cecy only see opportunities, not obstacles. Blessings on your trip. Hope to get together when you are back in the states.

    ReplyDelete